Thursday, May 18, 2006

Letter from Talitha, a friend of Jeremy and Donna

Thanks very much for the offer to post stories or other things about Jeremy. My husband and I lived in Canada for about three years (I am American and my husband is Swiss) and Jeremy was one of our closest friends while were there. We were all a part of a young marrieds' share group. So we got to know him well, and saw him regularly. I don't think I've met anyone who would make me feel so comfortable while talking to him. Jeremy was never judgemental, always open-minded, and he really seemed to care about what you had to say. We'd often try calling either him or Donna, but the line was busy because he was on the phone with someone... I'm pretty sure he was on the phone a lot more than Donna. I know a lot of people went to him for advice, comfort, whatever. We'd drop by their house sometimes unexpectedly, and he would have his phone earpiece in, for "hands free talking". He was just entertaining.

One time we stopped by, and he had just made a smoothie. A chicken smoothie. Yes, he ground up some chicken into a beverage. I don't remember his reasoning for that, but I sure remember the smoothie. We kindly declined his offer to share.

At many of our get-togethers, Jeremy would bring out his digital camera and tape us. There wasn't really much going on, but he made everyone feel special by taping the situation anyway, as if it was special to him.

One evening service at church, one of the few we went to, my husband and I heard Donna sing a song. It was the first time we had heard that song, though I'm sure it's probably been around for a while. It was one of the most beautiful and touching songs I'd ever heard, and it now happens to be a song quite applicable to not only Jeremy's passing, but to his amazing attitude during his life.

"Blessed Be Your Name".

Blessed be your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where the streams of abundance flow
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

Blessed be your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be your name

Blessed be your name
On the road marked with suffering
Oh, There's pain in the offering
Blessed be your name

Every blessing you pour out,
I turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say...
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to stay
Well Blessed be your name


I want to remember more about him, more interesting stories, more funny quirks about him, but I can't. I feel bad about that. I remember camping with him and the other young couples. I remember playing softball with him. I remember deep spiritual conversations with him. And I definitely remember what a good friend he was though, and I know I will never forget that.

You don't have to post anything that I've said on his site. That's really not my intention for writing. You just asked for stuff, and I wanted to help. I wasn't able to go to the funeral either, so it helps me to write this stuff out.

Thanks again for your offer. I hope other things are being sent to you, too. I'd love to read about what other people send in when it's all ready.

Most sincerely,

Talitha

No comments: